19 September 2014

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

So today is the day! International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

We hope you've got your own pirate party planned and have a trusty parrot sidekick on yer shoulder to get you through the day?

So, of course you need to know how to speak like a pirate! The organisers of International Talk Like a Pirate Day (ITLAPD) have put together a helpful little guide to get you familiar with with lingo.

How to Talk Like a Pirate


The basics
Pirate lingo is rich and complicated, sort of like a good stew. 
But if you just want a quick fix, a surface gloss, a "pirate patina," if you will, here are the five basic words that you cannot live without. 
Ahoy! - "Hello!"
Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"
Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."
Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."
Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

If you think you've got the hand of this pirate lingo and want to experiment with the language further, we can certainly recommend ITLAPD's Pirate to English Translator to get those tricky sentences transformed into appropriate lingo! 

Are you spending the rest of your day talking like a pirate?